Progressive stamping die designer to manage the die design process beginning with the customer part print through to a fully reviewed design.
Design high-precision progressive stamping dies for high-volume production of complex tight-tolerance products per W-A Engineering standards. This includes, but is not limited to: generate flat blank, develop strip layout, blanking and forming station layout, detail component and assembly drawings, etc.
- Create and modify Material Specifications, Plating Specifications, Heat-Treat Specifications and other outside material/process specifications as required.
- Process data (layouts) for use in WEDM and CNC machining.
- Create and modify internal product drawings for inspection and other purposes.
- Design fixtures, gages and other custom tooling or equipment as required.
- Review customer drawings and specifications for manufacturing feasibility.
- Initiate and/or coordinate change control process (ECO) relating to Engineering documentation.
- Participate in Tooling Kickoff, Specification Review, Design Review and Lessons Learned (Post Mortem) Meetings.
- Provide technical assistance to Tool room regarding tooling and process issues during die fabrication and debugging.
- Jointly responsible for successful transfer of tooling to manufacturing along with Tool room and Project Engineering functions.
- Responsible for adherence to tooling project schedules and budgets as established by Project Engineering and/or Stamping Design Manager.
- Initiate and/or coordinate outsourced tooling work with qualified tooling subcontractors. Ensure accuracy, quality workmanship and on-time delivery of outsourced tooling components.
- Review stamping die cost estimates for accuracy.
- Maintain integrity of Weiss-Aug engineering bases.
- Instruct and mentor Junior Die Designers.
- Other duties as assigned by Stamping Design Engineering Manager or V.P. of Engineering.
- Minimum of 5 yrs of experience designing complex progressive stamping dies.
- 2-yr. technical degree required; 4-yr engineering degree preferred. Equivalent experience in a hands-on technical position, such as tool & die maker/apprentice, may be considered as a substitute for degree.
- Proficient in Computer-Aided Design (CAD). At a minimum, must be familiar with at least one 2-D CAD design package (e.g. AutoCAD, SolidEdge, CadKey), however, 3-D experience preferable (e.g. Solidworks, ProENGINEER).
- Understanding of ANSI/ISO drawing standards. Knowledge of GD&T dimensioning preferable.
- Demonstrated knowledge of MEDICAL AND AUTOMOTIVE METAL STAMPING industry and practices.
- Basic understanding of the functioning of high-speed stamping presses.
- Knowledge of Wire EDM and/or CNC machining technologies.
- Knowledge of tool steels and their applications.
- Knowledge of commonly stamped metals such as cold-rolled steels, stainless steels and copper-based alloys.
- Understanding of die sensors, vision inspection, and/or related technology is preferable.
- Knowledge of insert molding process desirable.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word and Excel.
- Exceptional analytical and computational skills.
- Participate actively in a team-oriented environment.
- Good verbal and written communication skills.
We provide excellent company benefits and a competitive salary. We are an equal opportunity employer. Currently only accepting local candidate submissions.
This position is for our Weiss-Aug East Hanover | NJ location.