Computer Numerical Control (CNC) operator with at least 3 yrs experience programming/operating 3-axis or higher CNC milling centers or similar equipment. Must be capable of programming cutting paths based off supplied CAD geometry, setting-up/fixturing work pieces in machines and efficiently operating/maintaining the equipment to produce progressive die components within a tolerance of +/- .001” of expected dimensions. Requires a high school diploma or equivalent; 2-yr technical degree and/or apprenticeship experience strongly preferred.
duties and responsibilities
- Program cutting paths of CNC machining equipment utilizing Computer Assisted Machining (CAM) software and CAD geometry supplied by Engineering. Archive data as required for future use.
- Efficiently operate CNC machining equipment. Responsible for producing accurately reproduced tool components (within +/- .001” of CAD geometry) according to the published CNC workcenter schedule.
- Assist in developing the CNC workcenter schedule.
- Perform routine maintenance on CNC machining equipment as specified. Responsible for coordinating subcontracted service/repair work of CNC machining equipment and ancillary equipment whenever necessary. Responsible for maintaining proper tool condition/degree of sharpness to ensure operator safety and optimal cutting speeds.
- Coordinate the purchase of CNC machining equipment spare parts and tooling. Responsible for maintaining an adequate stock of critical spare components and tools to ensure that equipment will remain operational in the case of failure of commonly replaced items.
- Arrange and track the purchase of CNC machining center consumable products (eg. cutting fluid/coolant).
- Maintain an inventory of clamps/fixtures/vises to ensure proper work holding is achieved.
- Assist in the design of fixtures, gages and other custom tooling or equipment as required.
- Provide technical assistance to Engineering and Toolroom regarding CNC machining design and process issues throughout die design, die fabrication and debugging.
- Instruct and mentor Toolroom apprentices.
- Maintain integrity of W-A Design Engineering files/databases.
- Other duties as assigned by Toolroom Manager or V.P. of Engineering.
- At least 3 yrs experience programming/operating 3-axis or higher CNC milling centers or similar equipment in a tool & die or moldmaking environment. Experience with high-volume tight-tolerance tooling preferable.
- Requires a high school diploma or equivalent; 2-yr technical degree and/or apprenticeship experience strongly preferred.
- Ability to read blueprints and other technical documents. Familiar with CAD and/or CAM software. Understanding of ANSI/ISO drawing standards and GD&T dimensioning preferable. Knowledge of G-code CNC programming also preferable.
- Understand how to calculate speed and feed rates for all common CNC machining operations (mill, drill, tap, ream, boring, etc.)
- Knowledge of how to sharpen/maintain CNC machining equipment tooling (mills, drills, taps, reaming, boring bars, etc.)
- Knowledge of tool steels and their machining characteristics.
- Knowledge of metal stamping and/or injection molding industries and practices preferable.
- Knowledge of quality inspection tools and methods preferable.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word and Excel.
- Good analytical and computational skills.
- Good verbal and written communication skills
- This position has no direct reports.
- This position reports directly to the Toolroom Manager.
- This position regularly interfaces with the following internal functions: Die Designers, Stamping Design Engineering Manager, Mold Designers, Molding Design Engineering Manager, Toolroom personnel, Repair & Maintainance Toolroom Manager, Project Engineers, and VP of Engineering.
This position is for our Weiss-Aug East Hanover | NJ location.